NEW SITE

Hey! Thanks for visiting. This site is no longer active. Please visit my new website here. Thanks!

-Lindsay
7/12/2016

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

WIP Progress Report (#2)

To recap, these "progress reports" are basically a way for y'all to know a little more about what I'm working on and to be able to follow along with the process. The main update will be on my solos, but at the end, there will be quick updates on other projects.

If you missed the first one, you can check it out here.

Let's start with a quick rundown of things for Haley and Keelan's book.

- Still untitled. 
- Genre: Young Adult Romance
- Word Count/Goal: 53,609/70,000 (I'm so going over 70K words.)
- Release Date: Hopefully, sometime in early 2016. I have a date in mind, but want things to be more concrete before I say what it is.


As I've said, I want these PRs to give y'all more of an insight into a my writing process and to start getting you excited about my next project. I'm really excited for the progress I am making on this book, although I won't be finished by my self-imposed deadline of having the first draft done by the end of the month, but that's okay.

So, this is my first YA book since late 2012! What you may not realize is that it was a semi-conscious decision. You see, my characters (for the most part) aged with me. I started worrying that I would never be able to write another YA because I was growing older. 

Ridiculous, I know, but when you're still learning what you like to write and getting better at writing in general, things like this can go to your head. (Or, at least mine.)

Never mind the fact that plenty of adults, older than I am, write in that genre all the time. Never mind that I love the genre. For an insane reason, I was worried I wouldn't be able to write YA again.

When Haley and Keelan's story came about, it was originally New Adult. Things weren't working, so I tweaked the story. I tweaked again and again and again until I realized why their story wasn't working.

They were too old!

I needed them in high school, not college. 

I needed them younger, not older.

As soon as I made that change (and other adjustments, of course), the story and characters fell into place. I was still semi-worried about going back to YA, but I was so excited about the story, that I decided to push my worries aside.

And y'all, I've missed the YA genre. It's felt so good to return to it. I just needed the right story to bring me back. 

Now, for my YA lovers, don't get too excited yet. This is currently my only planned YA for 2016. The rest will be in the New Adult age range. BUT, it doesn't mean I won't go back to it. Like this book, I just need the right idea to come along.

Other Projects:
Mary and I are working on The Ninth Inning series. We just got Hector back from the formatter, and OMG. I can't wait to get my hands on the paperbacks. SO pretty! 

I should be getting Without a Doubt back from my editor soon. I'll be working on those before I send it to the formatter next month.

That's all for this progress report. Until next time, happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting and commenting!