NEW SITE

Hey! Thanks for visiting. This site is no longer active. Please visit my new website here. Thanks!

-Lindsay
7/12/2016

Saturday, February 28, 2015

Top 5 Reasons I Enjoyed MY BEST EVERYTHING

When I went to YALLFest last year, I had dinner with a group of bloggers and ended up going home with a few books. One of those books was an ARC of My Best Everything by Sarah Tomp, which is what I'm here to talk about today.

Between the title, the cover, and the synopsis, I was excited to read it. Before I get to the top 5 reasons why I enjoyed reading this book, here's the synopsis.



You say it was all meant to be. You and me. The way we met. Our secrets in the woods. Even the way it all exploded. It was simply a matter of fate.

Maybe if you were here to tell me again, to explain it one more time, then maybe I wouldn’t feel so uncertain. But I’m going back to the beginning on my own. To see what happened and why.


Luisa “Lulu” Mendez has just finished her final year of high school in a small Virginia town, determined to move on and leave her job at the local junkyard behind. So when her father loses her college tuition money, Lulu needs a new ticket out.

Desperate for funds, she cooks up the (definitely illegal) plan to make and sell moonshine with her friends, Roni and Bucky. Quickly realizing they’re out of their depth, Lulu turns to Mason: a local boy who’s always seemed like a dead end. As Mason guides Lulu through the secret world of moonshine, it looks like her plan might actually work. But can she leave town before she loses everything – including her heart?

The summer walks the line between toxic and intoxicating. My Best Everything is Lulu’s letter to Mason – though is it an apology, a good-bye, or a love letter?

Now, here's my Top 5:
  1. Set in a small town. I grew up in a small town and there were many instances where I found myself nodding along and agreeing with the things Lulu was saying/thinking. I could so very easily relate to her. There was one instance where she mentions about how she wants to get away from her small town because she feels traps, but how she's also worried her destination won't live up to her expectations. That I can relate to. There was another instance where Lulu comes to appreciate the beauty and realize that there are things she loves about her hometown and that I could relate to as well. The older I get, the more I'm able to appreciate things like that, even though I still want to leave.
  2. The way it's told. So, as it mentions in the synopsis, this book is a letter to Mason. Therefore, she refers to him as "you." It took a little while to get used to it, but once I did, I really enjoyed that it was told like that. The more I got used to it, the more it felt as if Lulu was sitting next to me and telling me this story herself. And that, I really loved.
  3. Her nickname. Fun fact, my nicknames growing up was Lindsay Lu, Lindsay Lulu, or just Lulu. It was really cool to read a character who was called Lulu.
  4. Left me wanting more. Granted, there were a few things I wish were elaborated more, but if a book can leave me wanting more, then I always consider it a good thing. It means I was invested enough to want to know more, see more, and read more. I'm still unsure exactly how I feel about the ending, but I wanted more from it. Just a little.
  5. Favorite Quotes. Keep in mind that the book I read was an ARC, so these may vary in the final copy of the book. The first one made me laugh/smile, and the other, I just really loved.
I could smell your shampoo or deodorant, something clean, mixed in with your sweat and boy smell too. Our olfactory systems are crucially tied in to memories and comfort and physical attraction. It's science.

I was scientifically aware of you as I turned the key and started the engine.
And this one:
I wasn't sure exactly what I'd do, but I'd have options. I'd get to decide what mattered most. Whatever it was, I'd be able to do something that made the world better. Not just swap out one rusty part for another.

You stood up, clasped your hands together above your head. Then turned to me, let me peek inside at what you'd caught. A lightning bug, looking dim, ordinary, ugly, crawled across your fingers. You let it go, and then it shone bright.

There's my top five reasons! Be sure to add the book to your Goodreads! It releases on March 3rd!

2 comments:

  1. This is great. I love the quotes you selected. My copy is highlighted throughout with tons of my favorite parts. I'm glad that you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a lot of favorite parts, and I'm missing a quote because I couldn't find it when I was making my post. :/ Thanks for commenting! :) And for being the reason I have this book in the first place!

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting and commenting!