NEW SITE

Hey! Thanks for visiting. This site is no longer active. Please visit my new website here. Thanks!

-Lindsay
7/12/2016

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Words/Topics That Will Make Me NOT Pick Up a Book

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

I'm usually pretty easy going when it comes to picking up books. If it sounds good, I'll give it a try. But there are some topics/words, that have me running the other way. It's either because of previous bad experiences or the fact that I have no interest in it at all. Here's my top ten in no particular order.
  • Zombies. I don't like watching them on TV, much less reading about them. I just can't do it.
  • Middle Grade. I didn't like reading MG books when I "should" have been reading them instead of my YA, Adult books.
  • Aliens. The thought of these make me shudder. I watched one alien movie when I was younger, got scared, and really rather not think about it.
  • Horror. No, thank you.
  • Fairytale Retellings. I don't think I've actually ever read a fairytale to start with. Watched the movies, sure, but I don't think I've read fairytales. Either way, I don't want to read a retelling of any kind.
  • Christian Fiction. There are a few exceptions to this one, of course. I have two authors that I will read from in this genre and that's it. Even then, I don't go out and buy all their books or actively search/wait for their books.
  • Classics. Eh. Yeah, there are a few that I would like to read, but the thought of reading something that has been deemed a "classic," is a little intimidating to me. 
  • "For Fans of ---." Often times, I don't see a connection to why if I liked that book, I would like this one as well. Sometimes, it's a paranormal, but with entirely different feels, different types of characters, etc. Can't books just be who they are without being attached to another book and its hype? Let this book build it's own fan base because of the story it holds and not because it's "similar" to another book. That makes sense, right? 
  • Faeries. I have some books on my shelf right now that are about these creatures. I have some on my to-read that I don't own yet. I'm not sure what it is about it, and obviously it won't keep me from picking up the book, but it definitely makes me hesitate. I don't know why this topic is different than others, but if I see it's about faeries, I might put it back down. Like it has a "Do Not Read Me" label. Makes no sense why I see this, immediately think I won't like it, and run, so let's just deem this one as a May Not Pick Up At This Time, type of book. I need to read a few more books (like the ones on my bookshelf) and then make a final decision as if it's for me or not. 
So close to ten! Nine will have to do. This was hard to come up with. After the first few topics, I had to really think about it. Sure, we all know what we will read and we can think of a few that we won't, but to think of ten? That's a little challenging. Especially since if the synopsis hooks me, I'll pick it up regardless. It happens sometimes.

Tell me. What words/topics would make your top ten?

1 comment:

  1. I've tried reading Christian Fiction and it sadly didn't work out. It was just too preachy for me.
    Great list! :D

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting and commenting!