NEW SITE

Hey! Thanks for visiting. This site is no longer active. Please visit my new website here. Thanks!

-Lindsay
7/12/2016

Friday, June 21, 2013

Lately

I wasn't going to have a third post this week, but then I got to thinking. Lately, I have been reading strictly ebooks. I haven't wanted to read a paperback at all. (Hopeless by Colleen Hoover is the exception and that was only after I read it in Kindle first.) Anyway, the urge to hold a book in my hands, smell that wonderful scent it has, and read a physical copy has been missing. I wondered if it would return because it has been that long since I've read that way. All I wanted to read was ebooks.

Until today.

I don't know what changed. Maybe it was the fact that I'm reading another book that I wish I was reading by paperback instead of Kindle. (I'm currently reading Delayed Penalty.) Maybe it was that I've finally grown tired of staring at a screen instead of paper. Maybe, and I'm pretty sure this is the true reason, but maybe it was because ebooks don't hold the same emotional attachment as paperbacks.


The experience is real with an ebook, don't get me wrong. However, for me, the experience of a gripping story is enhanced when you are holding a physical copy in your hands. If it's sad, I can pause, cradle the book to my chest and that oozes comfort in its own way. I can't exactly get the same feel from the electronic devices that I read ebooks on. (Plus, it looks and feels extra weird.)

There is something so magical about holding the weight of a book in your hands, running your fingers over those words that make you smile or cry, and having something physical to look at and be reminded of how that book made you feel. It's simply not the same with ebooks.

I'm in no way saying that I don't love ebooks. I really do. I have just realized the true power of paperbacks. Ebooks are great and convenient, but paperbacks are just as great, if not always convenient. I was where I didn't even want to buy a physical copy unless I read the ebook first and really loved it to where I had to have it. The point of all this is that sometimes, the ereader has to be set aside and you need to curl up in the couch with a book instead.

I'm at that point and I'm thrilled to have the want for a paperback again. Once I finish my current ebook, I'm picking up a paperback, getting comfortable, and settling in for a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting and commenting!