NEW SITE

Hey! Thanks for visiting. This site is no longer active. Please visit my new website here. Thanks!

-Lindsay
7/12/2016

Monday, October 22, 2012

Monday's Book Spotlight

It's back! I'm reviving the good ol' MBS. Life was so crazy that I forgot all about this little feature. No worries! I'm here to bring it back.

This week, I'm featuring a book of which I have three copies. One ebook. One paperback. One signed paperback. I fell head over heels in love with this book. Many of you have probably heard of it and read it. If not, that's what this post is for. GO. READ. IT.

NOW!
Anyway, that book was published back in 2011 in the month of April. Below is the synopsis, which reveals the book.

Flat-Out Love is a warm and witty novel of family love and dysfunction, deep heartache and raw vulnerability, with a bit of mystery and one whopping, knock-you-to-your-knees romance.

Something is seriously off in the Watkins home. And Julie Seagle, college freshman, small-town Ohio transplant, and the newest resident of this Boston house, is determined to get to the bottom of it.

When Julie's off-campus housing falls through, her mother's old college roommate, Erin Watkins, invites her to move in. The parents, Erin and Roger, are welcoming, but emotionally distant and academically driven to eccentric extremes. The middle child, Matt, is an MIT tech geek with a sweet side ... and the social skills of a spool of USB cable. The youngest, Celeste, is a frighteningly bright but freakishly fastidious 13-year-old who hauls around a life-sized cardboard cutout of her oldest brother almost everywhere she goes.

And there's that oldest brother, Finn: funny, gorgeous, smart, sensitive, almost emotionally available. Geographically? Definitely unavailable. That's because Finn is traveling the world and surfacing only for random Facebook chats, e-mails, and status updates. Before long, through late-night exchanges of disembodied text, he begins to stir something tender and silly and maybe even a little bit sexy in Julie's suddenly lonesome soul.

To Julie, the emotionally scrambled members of the Watkins family add up to something that ... well ... doesn't quite add up. Not until she forces a buried secret to the surface, eliciting a dramatic confrontation that threatens to tear the fragile Watkins family apart, does she get her answer.

Flat-Out Love comes complete with emails, Facebook status updates, and instant messages.

Do you need more motivation? Here's my review:

Can I just say that I absolutely adore Jessica? Seriously. For her to write such an intricate novel with these characters who are just so out of this world with their weirdness (that doesn't feel to weird) is just amazing. Oddly enough, I felt right at home next to this sophisticated, crazy-smart thirteen year old and this twenty-old year old who seemed obsessed with all things math, his laptop, and quirky t-shirts. I have Park's writing to thank for feeling so at home with these characters that are like none I've read before. 

This book was so outrageously good. I flat-out loved it. (See what I did there?) It's at the top of my favorites. It has surpassed...dare I say it?...my deeply beloved Nicholas Sparks. Totally different type of books but I'm trying to prove a point here. Oh what I would do to have a paperback of this book. Having an ebook just isn't the same. 

Okay, I need to quit chatting and review. Park wrote a novel unlike any other. She wrote something that I did not want to put down. She wrote an addicting novel with addicting characters and truly makes me just another book addict. You have to read this book. Excuse me while I go all J. Lo on you. Characters? Check. Fantastic writing? Check. A book that clearly stands out among any other? Check. A book that is so wonderful that I practically demand that you buy it right now so we can talk about it? Check. 

Addict's Last Words: From Jessica's website (because I couldn't have said it better): "Humorous, thoughtful, clever, and at times heartbreaking, Flat-out Love is about love, loss, and the great lengths a family will go to protect one of their own. You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll root for a seemingly elusive happily ever after. No doubt about it, Flat-out Love is flat-out fabulous." Author Heather Webber

To Buy or To Borrow: Are you seriously asking me this?! Buy this book right this second. We are talking about a book that will stand out in your memory because there isn't a book out there that is like it. We are talking about a book that explores everything that was said in the Addict's Last Words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting and commenting!